These 10K yellow gold, 1920’s art deco style cufflinks are a grand find for the cufflink collector. Designed for Roos Brothers Store of San Francisco by D’Barry they are in the shape of an elongated octagon and are in their original box. They are in excellent vintage condition and are clearly marked 10 KT on the cufflink link bar. They measure 5/8 of an inch in length and are just under 1/2 inch in width.
Please remember this is a vintage item. They are used and may show some signs of “normal wear” that comes with age. As we describe each piece if we find any flaws or defects we will point them out in the description. If we have replaced any parts or made other repairs, we will also note these in the description.
Here is a little history of the Roos Mercantile. It was started by the three Roos Brothers from Wissembourg, France. Adolphe, Hyppolite, and Achille.
The first Roos clothing store was located on Leidsdorf Street in San Francisco in 1865. Adolphe Roos was recognized as an integral part of San Francisco’s social elite at the time his son Robert was born. After college, Robert Roos joined the firm. The flagship store of the Roos Brothers of San Francisco was destroyed in the 1906 Earthquake-Fire. The brothers loved the San Francisco area and worked hard rebuilding their mercantile and reopened, the same year Adolphe Roos died.
Robert A. Roos gradually donned the mantle of perhaps the city’s best-known merchant. Under Robert’s leadership, Roos Bros. Inc. expanded to a chain of nine stores; San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, Palo Alto, San Jose and Fresno.
Robert married Louise Swabaker, in 1915. She was not only a style-setter but one of the premier female golfers in California. A high profile couple, the Roos, on a trip to England in 1925 joined King George V and Queen Mary at a garden party at Buckingham Palace. Robert achieved national prominence for exceptional vision as a business leader and became chairman of the Retail Dry Goods Association of San Francisco. He was also named to the National Recover Administration under President Roosevelt during the Great Depression.
When the Golden Gate International Exposition opened on Treasure Island in 1939, the new Roos Brothers Market Street store was hailed as one of the Exposition’s palaces. Roos Bros. was touted as an “ornament of the city” and regarded as one of the world’s most beautiful and unique stores.
Roos Bros. stores were sold in 1958 to the Robert S. Atkins Clothing Co. and continued to operate as Roos Atkins.